Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy Birthday, Griff! The 2nd...

 Happy Birthday, Griffin!




In honor of his birthday, here are a few excerpts from my journal to Griffin when I was pregnant. It's hard to believe that he is already 1 and we've shared so many special days already!

May 19th, 2010
I'm starting to get very anxious to know who you are - boy or girl?? What do you look like? Me? Your Dad? Blonde hair? Your Dad and I used to talk about our "blonde-haired, blue eyed babies" long before we were even married - it seems we've been waiting for you for a long time! We have a little over 4 weeks left before your due date... it's been such a wonderful journey with you.

June 29th, 2010
Despite the fact that I'm on pins and needles waiting for you to arrive, I'm of course excited and elated that soon you'll be here. We are scheduled to be induced on Thursday, July 1st. I pray for you, for strong bones and a strong heart - and that you always know how loved you are - and that you may know what an amazing God we have - he made you! I love you so much.

July 1st, 2010 - 10:55 AM
A week late! We must be related. Hopefully this will be your birth day, baby [Ha!]. Your Dad and I are at the hospital, they broke my water at about 10:15AM. Now we wait. I love you very much and can't wait for you to finally come home with us!

July 11th, 2010
Dear Griffin,

What a miracle you are! You've been here for 9 days already and I feel as though you've been here forever. Your Dad and I are adjusting to life with a little one and we are so so proud of you - you're so handsome! I could just stare at you for hours and marvel and what a beautiful little man you are.

As you know, your birthday didn't end up being the 1st, but the 2nd. I had my water broken at 10am and after a long day of labor, started pushing at 10pm. After three hours, it was clear that you weren't going to come out of the birth canal, the doctor said your noggin wouldn't fit. After everything, I was sad that we were headed to a C-section, but happy to know that you were healthy and coming soon. Your Daddy was wonderful, making me feel very loved - and we headed to surgery at about 1:15am on July 2nd. Dad sat by my head and held my hand while the doctors figured out your entrance and by 1:48am, she told me you were a boy! Believe it, or not, I wasn't surprised. Somehow, deep inside, I knew all along and I saw you for a second as they took you to clean you up - and heard your first cry. Your Dad had a look on his face that I'll never forget and he cried, a proud Papa. He went to get you and brought you over to me, my little man! You were beautiful and perfect - and we were so happy. I finally held you, in recovery, an hour or so later. I couldn't feel my arms and I was tired, so they took you upstairs and daddy went home to let Izzy and Porter out! It was 5am before we finally saw each other again, and I sang you my favorite lullabye... and we both slept.

The next couple of days in the hospital were long, but we got to know each other right away and you earned the nickname "Bird" because you looked like a little bird with your mouth open. Before we went home, you'd gotten a little jaundice and so you became "yellow bird". And now we're home.

You, Griffin, have grown the size of my heart to something I didn't know possible. I love you - desperately, and pray for you every day. For health, happiness and a life rich in blessings.
You are my greatest blessing (amongst so many!) and I feel lucky to be your Mom. I love you!



Dad and Mom, we're very proud of our little boy! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment